Friday, November 04, 2005

Erik Larsen Makes No Sense

Just a quick note, cause I'm on the move today. Erik Larsen, whose work I enjoy for the most part, has written the strangest column I've read in quite a while. He seems to be ranting about not being able to recognize Bruce Wayne in a crowded room. It's just really weird stuff. It seems like he's expecting a lot of comic fans to agree with him, but I just don't see it. Honestly, when is the last time you were reading a Batman comic and actually couldn't figure out who Bruce Wayne was? Never, that's when.

I think he wants to give all famous characters eye-patches or a top hat or something, so he doesn't have to bust any brain cells finding the protagonist. And this is completely ignoring the point that Batman, not Bruce Wayne, is the star of the show. If anyone is having problems identifying Batman, then I think the latest issue of Detective Comics is the least of their problems.

Anyways, go read it here, and let me know if you understand what the heck he's going on about. Cause I'm just not getting it.

Besides, Bruce Wayne has an iconic look. It's the Jim Aparo version. True dat.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jhunt said...

He's really lost me here. Usually I can disagree with a column but still understand what the author is trying to get across. Here, I have no clue.

I do think Bruce Wayne should have to wear a sombrero at all times, though.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

I can see where he is coming from. If you happen to get a lot of DC books, Bruce is drawn quite a bit different throughout each one. Of course, from context it is pretty easy to figure out that the man is Bruce Wayne, but generally speaking there is no kind of common template for the character. Truth be told, you could take some of the different Bruce Waynes and put them all in a panel and it would look like several different men.

But I also agree that not every hero / character needs to have some overly distinguishing feature like an eye patch. There needs to be some kind of middle ground though.

1:54 PM  
Blogger James Meeley said...

Larsen has a small point about how some artists let their stylized versions go a bit out there, but in any Superman or Batman comic, I've never had a problem picking out Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent.

Larsen is right there needs to be some artistic similiarities, when the creation you work on is not your own, but I certainly don't think it's as bad and rampant as he does. Maybe he just needs better taste in the comics he's reading... or the artists who work he's following.

Nice blog, by the way. I've bookmarked you and I be adding you to my blogs link list. :)

1:43 AM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

I can see it in regards to Jim Lee, who makes Bruce Wayne look the same as Superman, but I can't say I've had a probelm anywhere else.


But perhaps Bruce should wear some kind of distinctive clothing, because apparently a chuffing great bat suit isn't enough... ;)

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home