Monday, December 12, 2005

Bloggosphere: Sword of Unpleasantness

I really don't get it. One of my favorite comic bloogers, Scipio of the Absorbascon, has taken such strong offense to the recently announced Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis revamp that his blog is of late composed primarily of bitter attacks (both overt and veiled) on both the concept and the people responsible. To say he dislikes the new book is quite an understatement. Without having read a single page of the new title, he has decided that it is utter crap, to the point of renaming his blog to take a derisive poke at the new Aquaman's title (which admittedly, is not the world's greatest comicbook title).

I'm just finding the whole thing kind of disheartening. I mean, I can understand being disappointed that one of your favorite characters is being replaced by a new version. I get it, I really do. It sucks that a character that you feel is so wonderful and has such great story potential is being thrown aside for financial reasons. I was pretty unhappy when Firestorm was replaced, and I was really ticked when Blue Beetle got a bullet to the head in order to make Max Lord come off as a bad ass.

But the plain truth of it is that Aquaman wasn't selling enough. I loved the Will Pfiefer run, and I'm really enjoying the current run as well. If I had my druthers, DC wouldn't be replacing Arthur Curry with a brand-new Aquaman. However, DC can't continue to publish books simply because I like them.

And further, the nature of the revamp makes it clear that the classic Aquaman isn't being "ruined" in the manner of Hal Jordan. Should this new book fail, as Scipio has guaranteed that it will, there won't be anything preventing some writer from returning Arthur to the Aquaman role with a minimum of fuss.

So basically, they're creating a new character, inserting him into a previously created characters milieu, and telling stories about the new character's adventures in that milieu. And they're not killing or "crazifying" the old character in the process. Would the new book still stink like death to some if they had just not used the Aquaman name? Because that would imply that it's not the new book that is being criticized, but the decision to shelve the old book. And in my opinion, that's a business and creative decision that DC shouldn't be insulted for making.

I might like the new book, or I might not. Just like I might like the new Blue Beetle title (I sure hope I do). However, if more people enjoy the new books, and especially if enough people buy it that it becomes financially successful title, then the correct decision was made. Comics are a democracy, and we vote with our dollars.

Honestly, I understand being pissed off. I just want to read the Absorbascon and not wince at the shots taken at DC. Scipio has absolutely no responsibility to me, and I respect his right to deal with any topics he wishes, in whatever manner he wishes.

I just miss the old Absorbascon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spencer Carnage said...

Scipio's Absorbascon is great when he's not hating. I remember some post he did about Simone harping on Wolverine through the Liefeld Teen Titans comic she did, and all I could think of was "Is this the Newsarama messageboard?"

Then again, I did took my jabs at him over the whole Aquaman thing, so I'm just as bad. I'll just own up to it.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

I'm just glad he's reverted this blog's name. It's a small step, but a step in the right direction all the same.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home