Thursday, December 08, 2005

Y I'm Worried About The Last Man

Is anyone else getting concerned about Y - The Last Man? I'm a big fan of the series. I think it ihas often risen above it's high-concept inception to really explore some of the more interesting ramifications of a world without men. Brian K. Vaughan has created some really dynamic, well-rounded characters, and I was especially interested in the Yorick/Hero dynamic.

However, of late, it seems like the series may have lost it's way. The story is getting more and more dependant on wild coincidence, and seems to be most influenced by American soap-operas at this point. I'm still enjoying each month's new issue, but I'm getting, I suppose, a bit restless.

Does anyone know if BKV has an endgame in mind? Is this a series designed to run a (loosely) predetermined number of issues, a la Preacher & Sandman? I'd like to think he at least knows where he's going to end up, if not exactly how he'll get there.

In Yorick, BKV has created one of my favorite characters of the past few years. He's incredibly knowledgeable about some very random topics, but remarkeably uninformed in many quite basic areas. He's funny, self-centered, a little weak-willed, and has a surprising temper at times. I'm really enjoying his progression throughout the series, I just want a little reassurance that his progression is leading him somewhere.

The artwork of Pia Guerra never disappoints, though. She has a "clean-line" style that reminds me a little of a more refined Chas Truog, who I feel never got the attention he deserved for his run on Grant Morrison's Animal Man. I see a real benefit in having a simple, but effective artist controlling the look of Y. The storyline could easily devolve into standard Hollywood blockbuster type garbage under the reins of a lesser artist. The art is naturalistic, with none of the posing or teeth-gritting that mars many of today's comics (even some of the well-written ones).

I hope this doesn't sound like a "complaint post". I genuinely look forward to each month's Y, and I have a certain level of confidence that BVK is heading somewhere. And he has certainly earned a level of trust from me (as a reader) through his work not only on this title, but Runaways as well. Y is just feeling a little "loosy-goosy" lately.

Still, Y sure does have the prettiest covers of any DC book. And lady pirates are very awesome.

4 Comments:

Blogger thekelvingreen said...

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess there's a plan in mind. I mean there would have to be with that kind of series, right?

Conversely, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that there is no plan, given how many complaints like yours (about it losing its way) I've heard of late.

Then again, maybe BKV is letting it drift a bit while he works on other stuff.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

I guess I'll just have to be patient for a while, as I've heard the latest issue released is the first of a number of one-offs.

Between this and Lost my end-game anxiety is at an all-time high. I mean, two years ago, I don't think I would have even known what the term meant.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

60 issues. No more. No less. Brian knows exactly what the last page will look like.

:)

9:30 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

Well, see, now I'm depressed that it's ending so soon.

Yes, I'm that fickle.

Regardless, you rule Pia Guerra. Thanks for answering my query.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home