Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Nice... Very Nice.

This was definately my favorite image included in the March DC solicits released yesterday.


If they can keep this one on the rails, in terms of both quality and release schedule, it will be just, um.. boss. It's really cool to have a new book to look forward to, what with Morrison's Seven Soldiers wrapping up early in the new year.

I may be a bit guilty at times of being a Morrison apologist, but when he (not to minimize the Quietly factor) provides stories that include images like the above, how can you not love him?

My main Morrison-related question is, now that Morrison is well along with his Seven Soldiers books, do you think anyone at DC will pick up the reins and tell new story utilizing the characters and concepts introduced therein? I understood Morrison's intent to be the revitalization of some dormant or underused DC properties. Sort of a "Hey, any character can be made interesting, look at what I do with these random character templates!"

So now that he's done it, are there any plans to carry the experiment further? Is anyone exploring the possibility of doing a Shining Knight story, or a Bulleteer ongoing series? Or is it still just too early in the project to do so, as no one has any idea whether the characters will still be in usable shape once the "series of minis" is complete?

Of the miniseries' leads, I think the character I'd most like to see explored further is probably Klarion, although a Guardian ongoing could scratch a Kirby-esque itch much in the same way the Kesel/Grummet Superboy run did.

Any thoughts?

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't stand the colouring on AllStar Superman, its really, really ugly. I'm hoping the stories pntential makes me over look it.

I agree on your thoughts about Seven Soldiers, I heard they will have a connection to 52. I'll love to see a Guardian Ongoing series, similiar as the Superboy Karl Kesel/Tom Grummet series, that series was SO good.

So far Klarion and Guardian are my favourites too.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

It did look at times like the comic was colored with candy and crayons, but I kind of enjoyed the approach, especially when contrasted with the murky navy blues and browns of most modern comics.

I really hope all this work Grant has done on the Seven Soldiers pays off after the minis are over. With Grant serving as one of DCs "idea architects" for the post-Infinite Crisis period, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the Soldiers turn up in 52.

6:11 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

The problem with 7S is that you're getting Grant Morrison to revitalise the characters, then they'll get handed off to DC's other writers, and Gail Simone aside, no one else over there has the talent to continue where Morrison will leave off.

That said, they might just turn up in whatever books Morrison writes in the future, or they may be so goofy and minor that they'll only turn up in the lower-tier books, the ones being written by writers who are less famous than Johns and Winick, but are also so much better than they.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gail Simone aside?? Her stuff does nothing for me, Mark Waid, Geoff Johns, Will Pfiefer on the other hand. There is heaps of talent there,you just have to know where to look.

Winick? this guy is terrible.

52? When does this come out again, I guess its not March? I'm guessing May, right?

8:22 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

I liked Simone's Villains United book, but other than that I don't think I'm very familiar with her oevre.

Will Pfiefer on the other hand, would be great. Heck, he made me like Aquaman!

I don't think you necessarily need a Morrison-level talent in order to tell more S7 stories, though. He already laid all the groundwork,and left enough material to mine for hundreds of future stories. As long as you've got a good classic comic-book writer with a knack for engaging dialogue, I think any one of the S7 could be a very satisfying ongoing book.

It's just too bad there's not much chance of the original artists sticking around. Grant surrounded himself with absolutely top-tier talent, but that means they've for the most part moved on to other projects.

10:09 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Sadly, I don't think the people DC have are talented enough in general to pick out those threads Morrison has left.

But I'll duck out before I sully this blog with a flame war with the Esteemed Bsilios over the utter lack of merit in Geoff Johns' "writing". ;)

10:33 AM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

Remember when Geoff Johns was hand-picked by James Robinson to be his successor? I miss that Geoff Johns.

However, Robinson is returning to comics with a stint on the Batman books post-IC, so maybe he'd like to take a crack at a 7S series. I think he'd do a dynamite job on any of the individual Soldiers.

12:13 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Yeah, Robinson would be a pretty good pick. But by all that is holy, keep Johns and Winick away from the 7S stuff.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

I could see the DC Architects' meetings quickly turning into Morrison/Waid versus Johns/Winnick. I just hope it doens't lead to Morrison walking away because his ideas are "poo-poo"ed. The DC universe need Grant Morrison now, more than ever!

7:55 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Too right. Although he's farked off at Marvel too, so if he walked away from DC*, he might be tempted back to 2000ad...

* which would be sadly likely if such a division came about, as DC clearly prefer the safe and dull Johns to the wild and inventive Morrison. They should have given Crisis2 to the Scotsman.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Spencer Carnage said...

I hope Morrison leaves DC if only for us to see some more Marvel Boy. That's just me, though.

2:02 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Nah, I'd be up for more Marvel Boy too. I want to know why he was so pleased to be going to prison...

(I mean, I know why, sort of, but I'd like to see it play out.)

5:23 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

I actually haven't read Marvel Boy. Should I stick it on the Boxing Day Sale tpb list?

5:37 PM  
Blogger Spencer Carnage said...

Definitely. Marvel Boy is great.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

Well, consider it added to the Boxing Day Blitz list then.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home