Friday, January 13, 2006

Seven Soldiers Resources

For those of you who, like me, picked up the 7Sv1 trade paperback this week, and are getting ready to dive headfirst into the highly-entertaining madness that is Grant Morrison's latest work of comic beauty, here are a couple of links that might be of interest:

Barbelith is home base for Grant Morrison enthusiasts (or Granties, as we are called. Fine, I made that up.) Although, It seems you now need an invitation to join. Details on how to get one here. Barbelith is definately the place to go for indepth discussion threads on the latest 7S releases. Plus, there are countless threads on other interesting topics to boot. It's the rare message board that is both enthusiastic and (predominantly) civil.

Barbelith is also responsible for my primary 7S annotations resource. It's set up like a Wiki, which makes navigation very simple, and it seems to be updated with remarkable speed and accuracy.

If Barbelith doesn't do it for you, you can always use this page of annotations, but it is a GeoCities site, so be prepared for banners and outages.

I've got my tpb ready to go, and a freshly printed out stack of the Barbelith annotations on the side table, and I'm looking forward to taking some time this weekend to read through the collected issues a couple of times. An initial run just to enjoy the series as fun comic book escapism, and a second, slower read to appreciate the convergences, connections and references (aided by those handy-dandy annotations).

I also finally picked up the DC Showcase Presents Superman phonebook. Wow, did somebody say this weekend was going to be "off the hook"?

Because it is.

5 Comments:

Blogger Melchior del Darién said...

Thanks for pulling all of this together. Granties unite ... or assemble ... or something!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

No problem. Isn't it great reading the type of comics that actually necessitate annotations? It's like getting bonus value, or something.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Melchior del Darién said...

Yes, it is great. I find that these books hold up best when I re-read them, too.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

Morrison's stuff almost always seems to improve which each re-read. I don't even know how many times I've read my Animal Man floppies, and even his lighter stuff (JLA) has enough great moments and ideas to satisfy for repeated reads.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Republic of Replicants said...

I, too, am loving Seven Soldiers. I also have an index on my site covering the series, with covers and original solicits (as well as scans from the original preview that DC put out).

Unfortunately, I'm a bit behind in my collection as I haven't been able to go to the comic shop (which is 45 miles away). I still need to get Zatanna #4 and the three new titles.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home